Sunday, June 10, 2007

First day of work!

Well, today was the first day of work. I didn't know what to expect because I wasn't prepared very well by my supervisors. I did well considering I didn't know how to use the cash register or how to make shaved ice when I started work today. Luckily my supervisor's husband came to help me and showed me how to do those things. I was told I would have an LIT with me today, an LIT is a student involved in the Leaders In Training Program. I thought that LITs work only an hour at a time so I didn't know that I would have an LIT all day! I was a total gift from God! Dominique was his name and he's an awesome kid. I'm excited to get to know him. All my LITs are African American so I'm getting some cultural experience as well. I grew up in a neighborhood where I, a white person, was a minority, but that was some time ago and I'm realizing how much I miss the African American culture.

Weekend life here at the project is somewhat boring. We are on our own for food so that can be a bummer sometimes. All I did yesterday was read, then at night a few of us went to The Cheese Cake Factory for dinner and putt putt golf after that. I had a blast but that was the extent of the blastfullness. I expect the blastlessness (funny word :) ) on the weekends will be a much needed break to the work we put in around here. I talked to my good friend Bre yesterday briefly and she encouraged me by reminding me that Jesus is the vine and I am the branch, therefore I get all my nourishment and strength from Him. Thank God! Anyways, thank you all for praying for me and I hope you are doing well. I keep you all in my prayers every day!

No comments: