Sunday, June 24, 2007

Okay, so the past two weeks were so life-changing for me. I must admit I am blown away by God's Grace and love in my life. My life has finally slipped into a place where my specific calling in life has gone from imaginary to reality. I knew urban ministry was where I was called to minister, but then I had my doubts. After being rejected last summer for two amazing urban ministry internships I wondered if God was closing the door for urban ministry in my life. Then I got accepted to be on staff at the Pittsburgh Project this summer. I get here and I'm immediately working along side inner-city youth. At first they didn't talk to me and acted all tough and I was intimidated. I've worked with them for 4 weeks now and I am so amazed and overjoyed at what God is doing. The kids are opening up to me because they trust me and then two days ago something amazing happened. We had a break from customers and it was kind of cool out so my LIT, Tasha, and I went and sat out in the sun. After sitting there for awhile and talking, my LIT, Tasha, laid her head on my lap. She felt safe enough to lay her head on my lap! They call me Miss Amanda which makes my heart smile. I feel complete inside when I am talking with my LITs, I no longer feel insecure or fearful when I am with them. I just feel like an instrument of God's love and grace toward them. All the other staff members wonder how I get my LITs to talk because they don't talk to anyone else on staff besides me. It is those times when I know this is God telling me that this is what I was created for. I'm realizing that to have an impact on a person doesn't have to be a one time big event that caused that impact but the gradual day by day stuff.

No comments: